Elizabeth, Catherine Mei and Daniel

Elizabeth, Catherine Mei and Daniel

Our Story

If you are reading this, you probably know us and the story behind our adoption journey. We are Daniel and Elizabeth Hudson who live in New Orleans, LA. In August of 2004, we traveled to the Guangdong province of China to adopt our daughter Catherine who was less than a year old. Parenthood has been an amazing journey and we eagerly pursued adoption of a second Chinese child in 2006. Things on the adoption front changed and we have been waiting to expand our family for almost three years. Several months ago, we came across a waiting child on our adoption agency's website. After gathering more information, and discussing her "issues" with medical professionals, we have decided to bring home our next daughter, Wang Yue Hong. She will turn two years old on August 17th. She is also waiting for us in the Guangdong province.

Our Family of Four

Our Family of Four

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Just a few more weeks then back to real life

We are slowly preparing Charlotte for daycare as I get ready to head back to work. Where does the time go? She has been attending her daycare for longer periods of time this week and has even tried out nap time. She has figured out the route and at times starts saying no, no, no as we are pulling up. Seems mom is more fun than she lets on after all. She gives a great crying act at drop off then happily runs to me when I come to pick her up. I will say that the second time around is much better than the first. Catherine's antics affected me much more than Charlotte. It is still very difficult but because she is older, I can get a really good idea whether she is being treated well and it seems she likes her teachers and school. I have had a good heart to heart with the teachers about what she has been through and how she may likely be sizing up the environment as a return to another orphanage. I think they get it. There is another little girl who was adopted from Ethiopia in her class. One of the teachers has taken care of her and her older sister also from Ethiopia since they began child care so they are somewhat in tune with the needs of the adopted child. Charlotte continues to eat very little and it seems that she continues this trend at school. My reports are she liked the rice and the yogurt. Sounds like home to me. We had our first of three post adoption social worker visits and all went well. Charlotte showed off all of her tricks and even ended with a mini tantrum. Though we have done this many times before, it is funny how I still get a bit uptight about it all. One would think after blood tests, FBI fingerprinting, criminal background checks and having done the whole thing once before I would just relax. It is hard to believe that we are coming up on three months. We also had our first visit from the speech therapist. Entertaining to say the least because Charlotte kept digging play dough out of her bag when she was not looking. New words are being added to her vocabulary daily. She continues to love to sing and imitate the exact way in which phrases are said. Very funny. Catherine is doing great. She auditioned for a part in the Nutcracker at her old dance studio and was chosen to be an angel ( I am sure everyone who can pay attention got a part). She will have Saturday practice until December but she is enjoying the thought of the costume and stage. It is adorable how my shy little girl finds her alter ego on the stage. We are eagerly awaiting a visit from cousins Michaela and Quinn this weekend. Aunt Sara is driving in from Houston on Saturday. She will be our first house guest with children since moving here a year ago. Catherine has a three day break from school next week ( I call those the annual leave killer for the working parent) so we are looking forward to lots of craft activities, the insectarium and maybe the zoo. It still feels like August here. Daniel will be out of town for work next week so it will be me and the girls. Keep me in your prayers for patience as I try to wrangle two girls with dinner and bed. I know I can do it. Maybe we will just have a big slumber party every night!! Hope everyone is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment